Getting Started

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:02 PM
Really interested in this project; look forward to how it is going to progress.

However: I have downloaded the latest release, and I was wondering if there is any documentation or a quick start guide? Something to point me in the right direction to get going.

Thanks, Tom
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2008 at 2:59 AM
That's on my to-do list - hopefully in the next week or two.
Apr 22, 2008 at 11:25 AM
This is great, however I also need some getting started help. I hope it's coming soon, I seem to be kinda stuck at the beginning ;-)
Jul 31, 2008 at 3:00 AM
This tool looks very promising! I am coaching a team that is adopting Extreme Programming, and I am always looking for ways to do test-driven development. Unfortunately, I know nothing about SSIS itself and so I could not figure out how to write tests using ssisUnit. I don't want my team to have to download the source and figure it out, so I was hoping that some kind soul could point me to a brief introduction on how to write and run a test.

Thanks!
--johnt

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:57 AM
likewise..
Aug 7, 2008 at 6:37 AM
i didn't find anything that would guide me through the tool with a step-by-step example.

i'm sure that this kind of document would be a great help to myself and others.
Aug 13, 2008 at 10:26 PM
I found a page that gives a teensy bit of information. Not nearly enough, IMO, but better than nothing. Here it is: http://www.codeplex.com/ssisUnit/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Unit%20Test%20Structure&referringTitle=Home
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2008 at 1:58 AM
I'm working on it :)

Right now I'm trying to wrap up the next release, which will include a GUI for creating the tests. That should make it a bit easier. I'll also have a tutorial or video walking through it as well.

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2008 at 5:45 PM
I've updated the Getting Started page with a simple walkthrough, and the Product Sample page with a more complete sample package and test. Hope this helps. I'm going to continue adding documentation over the next few weeks.
Aug 27, 2008 at 9:30 AM
Edited Aug 27, 2008 at 11:23 AM
for use with NUnit:

using System;
using NUnit.Framework;
using SsisUnit;

namespace MyProject.Tests
{
 [TestFixture]
 public class MyPackageTests
 {
  [Test]
  public void ThisTest()
  {
   SsisTestSuite suite = new SsisTestSuite(@"..\..\TestConfigFiles\MyPackageConfig.xml");
   suite.Execute();
  }
 }
}

OOps, that is always green, even when I intentionally break the test. Sorry, you're on your own. I tried using other methods of the SsisUnit.SsisTestSuite object with less success.

Does anyone out there have a way of getting SsisUnit to work with NUnit (similar to how BizUnit works).

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2008 at 4:14 PM
For NUnit integration, you could take this approach: The SsisTestSuite class has a Statistics property that returns an instance of the Statistics class. You can use this to check the count of passed and failed Asserts after the Execute method completes. If you want to get the actual Assert messages, you need to set up an event handler for the AssertCompleted event. The arguments to that event include the result of the Assert.

There are 4 events in total - the AssertCompleted, TestCompleted, SetupCompleted, and Teardown completed. If you want the complete log of the test suite execution, you'd want to handle all 4 events.

For more info on how to use the methods on the TestSuite object, you might want to take a look at the code for the GUI (specifically the TestResults.cs form), as it uses the TestSuite class to execute the tests.

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2008 at 4:18 PM
By the way, very cool that you are trying to use this from NUnit. While I considered calling ssisUnit from other applications, I wasn't thinking about calling it from other unit tests. If you have thoughts about how to make it easier, please open an issue with your suggestions.
Sep 1, 2008 at 4:24 AM
Hi John,

I've started using ssisUnit and I must say that you ROCK!!!! t's great, it's fantastic, it's awesome and much more... Thanks for sharing this on the community project. If there is a section for donation to keep it going then please adivse.

I'm thinking of using sandcastle and generate documentation from the source code. However that would require putting comments in the source code. Ideally I would like to push the results of unit test into database for reporting. Just wondering if you have any idea's or meta-data in mind?

None the less, Many Many thanks again.
Tejas.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2008 at 8:30 PM
I like the idea of using Sandbox to generate the API documentation. I'll have to take a look at what it requires as far as source comments.

As far as saving the results of the tests to a database, you could do that today by catching the events I discussed a few posts up, and writing them to a table. If/when I add a Results object, I could add a few export options. One of those could be a database.

Glad you are finding it useful. I don't have any donation link set up currently, and honestly haven't thought a lot about having one. If there is a lot of demand for new features, or development starts taking up more of my time, I guess I could consider it.
Jan 5, 2009 at 11:03 AM
Hi,

great project! one question, is there a way to configure the timeout time of a sql command? I'm using the GUI so i'm guessing that it might be possible to add something to the ssisUnitTestRunnerUI2008.exe.config file?

many thanks,
Richard
Coordinator
Jan 5, 2009 at 1:37 PM
I don't have support for that in the current release, but it wouldn't be difficult to add. I'll add it to the issue list.