Package configuration

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Is there some way to handle use of package configuration ?

Situation is I've developed a package with lots of SSISUnit tests ... all working

Deploy to the test server file system, run with DTExec, but it doesn't work ...

- then remember to change the package ProtectionLevel to DontSaveSensitive and use a package config file

- all working fine

But back on dev box, my SSISUnit tests are failing ...

- switch back to EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey

- all working fine

Can I set a config file for SSISUnit ?

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Did you try copying the configuration file to your dev machine? I normally have packages set up so that I don't have to modify the package file itself between dev, qa, and prod - I only change the configuration file settings.

Moving past that, how would you envision the configuration file being used? You'd specify a particular configuration file in the unit test, and it would be applied to the package when the test executes it?

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:40 AM

John,

this is down to my lack of understanding w.r.t. SSIS ...

- I had package configuration enabled, but with no actual configurations added

- on the test server I used DTExec with the /CONFIGFILE to set the various value

- originally I did have a local config, but when I ran DTExec I got a warning message that it couldn't be found ... I'd not copied over to the test server as it was only valid for my machine

- so I removed it which gave me an error and warning free run on the test box, but I had to set ProtectionLevel

Am I right in thinking I could have a local config plus ProtectionLevel set to DontSaveSensitive and SSISUnit would use this ?

- but then I get the warning messages in Test (and later Live) when the local config isn't there

As to your second question, pretty much what you said, some mechanism where you can set the config file to use, either at the Test Suite level, or per test

Coordinator
Jul 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM

You should be able to use a local config file in your dev environment. However, you may want to set it up as an indirect configuration - where the path the the XML file is stored in an environment variable. That way, the file can be located in different places in different environments, and you just set the env. variable correctly.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Thanks John, that did the trick