Documentation for the project

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM

You guys have the makings of a fairly decent product here, BUT one thing that is severly lacking is documentation on how to use it. I have spent almost a week trying to get things to work because quite simply things are just not obvious in  how to use the product. Could you make it a task that somebody actually writes some documentation?

The getting started guide for instance is totally inadequate.

An example of what I am talking about is in the Test Setup phase. I assumed that I could use the FileCommand to move a from one folder to another folder in preparation for a test. This doesn't seem to work?

I assumed I could use FileCommand to Move a file from SourcePath to a TargetPath ? IS this wrong?

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Hi there

I'm no expert in SSISUnit but I've got file copying working Ok

For example, one of my tests has this setup ....

<TestSetup>
        <FileCommand operation="Copy" sourcePath="E:\Dev\VS2005\SSIS\CtaxPersonIncremental\Academy\Initial\ctacct.txt" targetPath="E:\AcademyDataLoad\ctacct.txt" />
        <FileCommand operation="Copy" sourcePath="E:\Dev\VS2005\SSIS\CtaxPersonIncremental\Academy\Initial\ctprop.txt" targetPath="E:\AcademyDataLoad\ctprop.txt" />
        <ProcessCommand process="hstart" arguments="/noconsole /wait &quot;E:\Dev\VS2005\SSIS\CTaxPersonIncremental\Unit test setup\Truncate All CTax Tables.bat&quot;" />
        <ProcessCommand process="hstart" arguments="/noconsole /wait &quot;E:\Dev\VS2005\SSIS\CTaxPersonIncremental\Unit test setup\Truncate All Person Tables.bat&quot;" />
        <ProcessCommand process="hstart" arguments="/noconsole /wait &quot;E:\Dev\VS2005\SSIS\CTaxPersonIncremental\Unit test setup\CTaxLoad standard persons.bat&quot;" />
      </TestSetup>

Cheers,

SteveC

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Thanks Steve.

I eventually got it to work last night.  What made is confusing was the dialog box for the  box wouldn't accept and empty file, on the TargetPath.

However when I , like yourself, just typed the filePath in it worked.

It is jsut probably just a quirk with the dialog box. I now avoid using the dialog boxes when setting up the tests.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Coordinator
Jul 31, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I appreciate the feedback. Adding more documentation is on the tasks on the list for the project. However, there's only one person working on the project (me), and this is a labor of love, rather than something I get paid for, so the time I can spend on it is often limited. If you would like to assist by documenting some of the challenges you have found and how you worked around them, it would be beneficial to share that with the community.

Specifically on the FileCommand, were you entering a full path (including a filename) in the dialog, or just picking a directory? It expects the full path.