Confusion on Data Sources within a DataFlow Task

May 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Edited May 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Hi John!
I was very glad to find ssisUnit, but I'm having trouble and I suspect what I want to do can't be done. In my Data Flow Task I have an OLEDB source that I transform and insert into a SQL source. Is it possible to unit test this with ssisUnit?

I set up a connection for the SqlCommands I use for setup and they work fine, but when the test tries to run the SSIS task, it fails because it is trying to make the connection it sees in the task itself. Am I misunderstanding how to use ssisUnit, or is this just a limitation?

BTW, I'm using SSIS 2012.

Thanks, Jeff
Jun 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM
I see that there are SsisUnit Source/Destination objects in the toolbox, but when I try to use these I get an error that says "Value of 'null' is not valid for 'stream'". Any ideas there?
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Sorry for the delayed response on this.

Currently, you can't test inside data flows. That's a feature that's being worked on, but we still have some work to do to fully implement it. The SsisUnit Source / Destination are components of that, but the test harness still needs some updates to use them.

Right now, you can use SsisUnit to test the entire data flow - so in your scenario, I would have the source output to a destination so you can test the results. The future improvements will effectively automate that process for you.
Aug 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Very much looking forward to that! Thanks for responding John!

Jeff